Recruiting for Classic D&D campaign

Pen and Paper Role Playing Games. Discuss rules and recruit players for your games.

Recruiting for Classic D&D campaign

Postby Hyway » 19 Jan 2011, 13:31

I am starting an old school style D&D campaign using the Basic Fantasy Role Playing Game as the ruleset. BFRPG is a rules-light game system based loosely on the d20 SRD v3.5, heavily rewritten with inspiration from the 1981 D&D Basic/Expert boxset. You can download the PDF files or the original OpenDocument files from the downloads page free of charge at http://www.basicfantasy.org/ I have several printed copies of the PDF that I will give to anyone joining the game. Alternatively, you can also purchase a print copy at http://stores.lulu.com/basicfantasy

In my opinion BFRPG takes the best of the old stuff and joins it with some of the modern sensible mechanics. Sure, Basic Fantasy is, well, "Basic," but that's why I think it's such a gem. The rules do what they need to do and then get the hell out of the way, allowing a story to unfold. It's simple without being simplistic. This campaign will be more about adventuring than simply hack and slash dungeon crawling, although there will be plenty of opportunities for combat.

Your character will start with 5000 exp points, roll 4d6 keep best 3 die (rerolling any 1’s from the remaining 3 die) and arrange in any order. Roll 4d6 (drop lowest and reroll any 1’s from the remaining 3 die) x10 for starting gold. Max hit points for level 1. If the 5000 exp gets you to 2nd or higher level roll for hit points for each additional level. Discard any 1 rolled for this and re-roll. 0 hit points is unconscious or nearly so and you begin bleeding out 1 hp per round until someone tends to you. At -10 hit points you die.

I will be using one of the original adventure modules put out by TSR for the expert level ruleset. Starting characters will be from 2nd to 4th level depending on Class. I don’t have a day or time yet because I can easily arrange my schedule around to meet the needs of other schedules. I would like to play once a week, but no less than twice a month. I will wait to judge interest and then set the game time.
Hyway

Re: Recruiting for Classic D&D campaign

Postby Hyway » 26 Jan 2011, 00:11

Update to say that I found a group that will be using the BFRPG rules and that I will be joining that game. It will be Tuesday nights from 7pm until 10pm here at the store. There is room for more players if anyone is interested.
Hyway

Postby Hyway » 08 Feb 2011, 23:03

Our group of 4 has met for 3 weeks in a row now. The PCs have survived quite a few encounters where TPKs were in the making but by luck, a few good rolls and flat out running for our lives we have managed to stay alive. We are having a good time (at least I am and it looks like the others are too). there is still room for 1 or 2 more to join in if anyone is interested. We play at the store every Tuesday from 7-10 pm.
Hyway

Postby hedgeknight » 05 Mar 2011, 08:37

Hey Hyway - is this game still going? If so, I might drop by next Tuesday night as a lurker.
hedgeknight

Postby JRTheFerret » 11 Jun 2011, 23:36

are you still accepting players?
JRTheFerret

Postby warlock24 » 05 Jul 2011, 19:11

I would be interested in playing as well. Please let me know the status and what day(s) were decided upon.
warlock24

Postby Hyway » 23 Aug 2011, 10:06

Sorry I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. we did have a game going for a short while but it faded away and I got to burned out on chasing down new players. I would love to play in an old school game if someone got one going.
Hyway

Postby warlock24 » 23 Aug 2011, 17:49

My friend and I are trying to start up a game. I know bare basic 3.5 and 4E, while he is a little more comfortable with earlier editions. We are looking at Monday nights and have a lot of D20 books to go off of. We are trying to gauge interest and in which edition, what would you be up for?
warlock24

Postby Hyway » 31 Aug 2011, 12:12

I currently play a game based on the 1981 basic expert rules along with some d20 updates called Basic fantasy Roleplaying game. So I am way old school and am not looking to join a game with extensive skill sets and the like. I just like roleplaying and telling the DM what we want to do and he deciding if it works.
Hyway

Return to Role Playing Games