Tournament Prize Support Feedback

Collectible Card Games. Find other players in the area or talk about strategy.

Tournament Prize Support Feedback

Postby heath » 08 Nov 2010, 11:20

What would help with the FNM prize payout?

Starting in December, we are going to run the normal FNM ($6 with the standard pack and a half per person payout), as well as an FNM win-a-box tournament.
For the win-a-box, it will be $12 to enter and the winner will get a box (for 8 people). For every 8 people we will give away another box in prizes.
Win-a-box tournaments are single-elimination, and the people remaining in the tournament may split the prize evenly at any time.

What would you like to see, what are some Constructive comments you have about the payout change?
We are also working on a store credit option choice instead of packs.
heath
Site Admin

Re: Tournament Prize Support Feedback

Postby forrestfire » 08 Nov 2010, 18:23

I think your main problem is that everyone is used to the old FNM payouts. For instance, in the old format, going 3-1 got you six packs, while now, 3-1 may not get you any. I feel that if a person can't go 4-0 consistently, then the FNM is simply a glorified, expensive pack.
forrestfire

Postby cpage01 » 09 Nov 2010, 22:21

heath wrote:What would help with the FNM prize payout?

Starting in December, we are going to run the normal FNM ($6 with the standard pack and a half per person payout), as well as an FNM win-a-box tournament.
For the win-a-box, it will be $12 to enter and the winner will get a box (for 8 people). For every 8 people we will give away another box in prizes.
Win-a-box tournaments are single-elimination, and the people remaining in the tournament may split the prize evenly at any time.

What would you like to see, what are some Constructive comments you have about the payout change?
We are also working on a store credit option choice instead of packs.

what is your plan if you have 12 players that want to play in a competitive type tournament but only 8 of them get in the win a box tournament?
cpage01

Postby Jeremy » 09 Nov 2010, 22:24

I think there should be more of incentive for casual players to improve. It sounds like now all of the starting players will just play in the regular tournament and all of the expierienced players will only play in the win - a - box. I would just like to see a prize format where going 3-1 wins you something 100% of the time.
Jeremy

Postby zahori » 10 Nov 2010, 22:00

I still don't understand the change. Granted, I haven't been able to attend a tournament since the "change" but I thought that the only major difference was the removal of store credit as an option. Have the packs available for prize decreased?

I assume that the old prize payout was resulting in a negative balance for the store (i.e. store was giving out more than it was taking in). If so, then just set your price/prize point based on the amount of revenue that sufficiently covers your expenses and voila, you have an iron-clad prize structure. Setting up two tournaments is not a good solution because it fragments your player base. I personally don't see FNM as a tournament where you should expect large prize payouts. I am not expecting much for $6.

Some links to other major stores' FNM:

http://forums.starcitygames.com/showthr ... Roanoke-VA
http://www.superstarsgamecenter.com/?p=1346
http://www.pastimes.net/events/676/
http://twitter.com/modozahori
zahori on MTGO and relevant message boards
Oscar
zahori

Postby mike » 11 Nov 2010, 08:08

I got a total of 4 packs for going 4-0 last week. This is a tournament and as such the people who do well should be rewarded. Instead you're handing out two thirds of the prize pool to people just for showing up. What's the incentive to improve your deck now? I wouldn't have dropped $300 on a deck if I knew this change was coming.

You say this change was to attract more people to the game, but instead you are driving them away. The casual player ends up paying $6 for a pack, and the competitive player walks away with little more than the entry fee reimbursed. No one really wins there.
mike

Postby heath » 11 Nov 2010, 10:35

Andrew and I are going over the feedback and will have an announcement soon. Thanks for all the great feedback and I appreciate the time you all took to respond.
heath
Site Admin

Postby heath » 11 Nov 2010, 16:18

Starting Friday, November 12th we will have a slight change to the FNM payout structure.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=298
heath
Site Admin

Postby chadhimes » 11 Nov 2010, 16:51

[quote="mike"] I wouldn't have dropped $300 on a deck if I knew this change was coming. quote]

Thats for the sideboard right?
chadhimes

Postby garespet@mac.com » 11 Nov 2010, 17:03

I really like the idea of this being a tournament... therefore there can be only one!!!! A box to first!!!!
garespet@mac.com

Next

Return to CCG's