I want to try D&D...

Pen and Paper Role Playing Games. Discuss rules and recruit players for your games.

I want to try D&D...

Postby nhutchen » 17 Aug 2013, 21:39

...but I honestly have no idea where to start. I know the very very basics; dungeon master either chooses a premade campaign, or makes one up, and other players go through the quests and roll to see how well they do with each action, that I know.

But with rules, or races, skills, stats, or anything else? I'm clueless.

Hope someone can help me figure this out; thanks for reading.
nhutchen

Re: I want to try D&D...

Postby Mammalpants » 18 Aug 2013, 09:04

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/ There are a great amount of resources on this subreddit; Also I suggest watching Youtube videos of people playing (or DnD Podcasts like Critical Hit, Acquisitions Incorporated or Nerd Poker). Check out the choosing an edition resource on the subreddit to figure out what edition is best for you personally. I personally went from never playing to DMing a game for several months to now just playing a character in weekly campaign. Do your research; DnD, like all tabeltop RPGs, involves a lot of reading. Read the Players handbook for the edition your want to play (and DM guide/ Monster Manual if you decide to DM).

Welcome the world of DnD. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Mammalpants

Postby TKEpk247 » 19 Aug 2013, 07:40

Everything Mammalpants said is true, r/DND is a great resource. Really just start, anyone you will want to play with will be happy to either learn with you or teach you, personally I love bringing people into this wonderful hobby. There are a couple DnD sessions at Cape Fear Games, I run one Wednesday nights but currently our table is already over capacity. Feel free to come watch though, we start at 7pm Wednesday nights in Cape Fear Games. Will be happy to answer questions during breaks, or before and after sessions. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Welcome to a fantastic hobby
TKEpk247

Postby nhutchen » 19 Aug 2013, 11:18

Thanks for the feedback. I MIGHT come on wednesdays, but I'm unsure. Also what is the difference between versions? I don't want to end up learning one version, just for everyone else to play a different one...

I am just interested in playing; I'm nowhere creative enough to DM :P
nhutchen

Postby glocness » 19 Aug 2013, 19:07

If you're a good player, you have the potential for being a great DM. Don't sell yourself short! Takes imagination and skill to be a good player as much as it does to be a good DM/GM. Feel free to also check out my groups sessions on Mondays; 4:30pm-9:30pm. We run D&D NEXT and no later than November we will be begining a Palladium campaign as well that I'll be GMing in order to give our current DM a break from time to time.
glocness

Postby nhutchen » 24 Aug 2013, 13:27

Is anyone going to be starting up a new session soon (like, beginning a new game)? If so, do you mind if I join in so I can learn?
nhutchen

Postby glocness » 25 Aug 2013, 05:29

My crew isn't starting a new session, but when our DM's personal life has settled down a bit here in a few weeks, we have room for you in our D&D NEXT campaign, if you'd care to join us. If you join us you can also be there for when I begin my Palladium campaign as well (there will actually be three different campaigns for Palladium, 3 different storylines but all tied in, two of which are paralelled).
glocness

Postby nhutchen » 25 Aug 2013, 19:46

glocness wrote:My crew isn't starting a new session, but when our DM's personal life has settled down a bit here in a few weeks, we have room for you in our D&D NEXT campaign, if you'd care to join us. If you join us you can also be there for when I begin my Palladium campaign as well (there will actually be three different campaigns for Palladium, 3 different storylines but all tied in, two of which are paralelled).

I would LOVE to join, thank you so much :D

So long as I don't have to do anything when you guys do it, I will be there, for sure. Again, thanks a ton, this means a lot to me
nhutchen

Postby glocness » 26 Aug 2013, 02:57

No problem, glad to have you aboard.
glocness

Return to Role Playing Games