Flames of War game

Tabletop miniature games. Discuss strategy and play times.

Flames of War game

Postby charliezee » 04 Dec 2011, 14:16

Hi
I recently moved to Wilmington and would like to start playing the Flames of War, World War II miniatures game. To get started, I would like to run a FOW demo at the Cape Fear Games store on some Sunday in the next month or two between 2:00 and 6:00 in the afternoon. Although I have played a few games, I am relatively new to the FOW rules and would like to began with a simple scenario, perhaps one featuring only armor. I have Germans and Allies from the Late War, Western Front. I can provide all of the models and terrain.
Charlie Z.
charliezee

Re: Flames of War game

Postby powerslave84 » 05 Dec 2011, 16:39

A friend of mine and myself have some eastern front Late War stuff. Would love to meet up for a game sometime! I'll talk to him tonight about it. It's also great that you have terrain, considering we've been using the 25mm terrain for our games.
powerslave84

Postby charliezee » 05 Dec 2011, 22:05

We can play something on the Russian Front as a demo game if you would like. I am working on my terrain, painting Normandy style buildings and roads. I have enough terrain for a simple battlefield. I have no Eastern Front buildings, but I can buy some. How many points of Russians can you put together? We could play a Russian Front scenario from one of the FOW books, most of those battles are available on the FOW web page.
Charlie
charliezee

Postby powerslave84 » 07 Dec 2011, 13:18

I'm running a Sturmkompanie list out of Stalin's Onslaught. But with Germans I can play on Eastern Front to with some altercations to the lists.
powerslave84

Postby charliezee » 10 Dec 2011, 11:37

I am working on my terrain and should have enough to run a proper game around the holidays. To play FOW correctly you need lots of terrain.
Charlie
charliezee

Postby mad jack » 13 Dec 2011, 18:42

I can also provide two late war armies germans and americans. Just post here or send pm and i will see if i can make it.
mad jack

Postby charliezee » 14 Dec 2011, 01:17

I plan to run a small scenario over the holidays or in early January , mostly armor with few infantry, out of one of the FOW battle books like Villers Bocage to interest people in the rules. I’m rather new to the rules, so such a small and simple game featuring mostly armored vehicles would be easy for me to manage.
But instead we could start by playing some small battles 5-600 points, infantry only, on a 3”x4” battlefield, if some of you are interested.
Or we could start an escalation league or perhaps run a FOW “Infantry Aces” style mini campaign. If we had enough people. Any ideas.
Charlie
charliezee

Postby mad jack » 15 Dec 2011, 21:08

600 pt games may be way to start. smaller, quicker. my problem is short days, dark at 5 pm. lots of chores on farm. not a 5 day a week job. day get longer i can have more time. but if u guys get a game going i will do my best to be there when i can.
mad jack

Postby charliezee » 16 Dec 2011, 00:59

The 600 point games will probably work best.
I can set up two, four-foot square battlefields to start and people can bring their own 600 point force to run. The smaller point games might last an hour and a half and we can play a couple battles that day.
I can place the battlefields side by side so that if we have a larger turnout we can run a big team game on the double, four-by-eight foot battlefield.
I would bring two armies -- an Allied and a German, each 600 points, so we would have extra miniatures for someone without an army. If no one can play that day I can always run a demo, moving both sides.
It is always more fun if players can run their own miniatures. The smaller sized armies may encourage new players to paint up a force of their own.
Maybe we can run an evening event at the shop so people who can’t play during the day can come by and participate, or we can start in the later in the afternoon so a late comer can get in at least one game.
charliezee

Postby andrew » 16 Dec 2011, 08:25

Let me know what terrain you are interested in that works for Flames of War, so that we can get it ordered. If you have time, try to come out January 10th and do a demo of FoW for the minis night kick off party.
andrew
Site Admin

Next

Return to Miniature Games