The Realms of Forgotten

Pen and Paper Role Playing Games. Discuss rules and recruit players for your games.

The Realms of Forgotten

Postby TKEpk247 » 14 Aug 2013, 21:56

Hey guys since we are moving forward with the new campaign just wanted to start a thread with the basic info.

Please create your characters in my DNDinsider accout

Later tonight I will post the basics about our starting area, Loudwater.

What I need from each of you; basic player background (where you came from, why you left, why you are the chosen class, religious affiliation), party background (who knows who and why you are together, should know at least two other characters in party but could meet them in Loudwater) If you want to do anything weird feel free to PM me, or email me directly usually pretty good at responding.
Last edited by TKEpk247 on 03 Feb 2017, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
TKEpk247

Re: The Realms of Forgotten

Postby TKEpk247 » 15 Aug 2013, 01:44

Loudwater is a town sitting at the confluence of the Delimbiyr and Grayflow rivers. The forested shoulders of the Star Mounts rise above the town in the northwestern sky. These cloud-veiled peaks remind the townsfolk that beyond the town's walls streatch wild lands, where deadly monsters threaten the unwary. Many of the townsfolk treat the Green Tankard Tavern as their second home. The town of Loudwater offers a well-defended rest stop for caravans and riverboats. Nearby communities such as Llorkh and Zelbross lie in ruins, yet Loudwater survives, albeit with a diminished population, which holds steady at about 2,000. To the north stand the brooding trees of the High Forest. To the south is the High Moor, infamous for monsters that lurk in the mists, guarding the ruins of bygone kingdoms. Loudwater feels like a frontier town despite having once boasted a greater population. Its days of boundless prosperity are a century gone, and most of the town's current residents, which are primarily humans and half-elves, are not old enough to recall them. Loudwater never fully recovered from the disruption of trade brought about by the Spellplague, yet unlike many towns, it at least still stands. The town has prosperous areas, yet still has numerous tenements.

Two iron gates, East Gate and West Gate, comprise the town's primary entrances. These gates stand open during the day, leaving a 20'-20' path that leads through the wall and into the town. A walkway crosses over the gate, connecting either side of the wall. The towers, part of the wall, rise 40' above the gate (total of 60'). The gates are closed and locked at night, though they are opened to allow people to leave the town. Each gate is staffed by four guards. Lone travelers and small groups can enter and exit for free; traders and merchants pay 5sp per wagon or cart. Monsters and creatures that resemble monsters are refused entry (any race from PH is allowed).

Carts and tents surround a large communal well in the center of the southern plaza, this is the south square where caravanners and river merchants ply their wares along with the permanent shops. Players looking for food, supplies, and miscellaneous items might find what they are looking for here. Notable shops include Garwan's Curiosities, Starra's Knives, Green Tankard Tavern, Loudwater General, the Smithy, and Apothecary. Garwan's Curiosities has a sign bearing an image of a unicorn horn, an hourglass, and the words "Garwan's Curiosities". The windows provide a view of bizarre items including a shrunken head, candy wrapped in colorful leaves, playing cards, smoking accessories, fancifully decorated tankards and more. The locals visit here to find interesting gifts or to sell off junk in which Garwan sees value. Garwan is a white-bearded wizened old dwarf. Starra's Knives is a dimly lit shop smelling of oil and steel, no other place in town offers a better selection of knives, daggers, and other small bladed weapons. The proprietor is Deanna "Starra" Starr. The Green Tankard Tavern is signed with a green painted tankard of ale, the tavern's large common room holds a varied group including townspeople, riverboat folk, merchants, farmers, and one or two individuals wearing the badge of the Loudwater patrol. Called simply "The Tankard" by locals, the roomy inn and tavern serves as the public house for the southern portion of Loudwater. The Tankard offers beer, spirits, and a variety of expensive wines. Meals are available throughout the day, and rooms can be rented for overnight stays. Loudwater General carries everyday goods necessary to those living on the frontier. A person can purchase tools, clothing, food, drink, simple melee and ranged weapons, ammunition, and adventuring gear at this store. Anything in PH under 30gp can be found here. The smithy carries a variety of metallic wares including weapons and armor. The smithy does not carry martial weapons but custom requests can be fulfilled within several days. Megana Nistral, a human female as broad as a dwarf, Hammers away with her great mallet alongside several apprentice smiths. The apothecary advertises itself as a perfumery, but has recently begun selling oddments and charms much to Garwan's ire. The worth and authenticity of many items should be questioned. The apothecary carries many more mundane items that are the mainstays of Loudwater's cooks and hedge wizards. Players might find several low level rituals for purchase.

An inner wall, smaller than the walls surrounding Loudwater, seperates the town's northern dock district from the rest of the town. The gate between the two areas stands open and unguarded. The docks includes several large log structures, these warehouses store the goods of merchants doing business in town. By day, people bustle about the area transferring barrels and crates between the storehouses and trade ships. The docks are small and allow only a limited number of ships to moor. Several small fishing boats vie with larger ships for space along the docks. By night, raucous noises issue from the pub situated along the west wall. The pub is the Fisher's Friend Pub, wreathed by an overwhelming odor of spirits and smoke. This is where the calloused dockworkers and fishers drink and gamble away their pay. This pub draws a much rougher crowd then the Green Tankard.

There is a grand manor house, a jewel of dwarven craftsmanship from a bygone era. This house is over two hundred years old, built for a self-styled elf lord, this home was the seed from which Loudwater grew. The mansion is currently home to a family of half-elves descended from the original lord. Right beside the manor home is a temple seperated from the town of Loudwater by a small hedge. The vine covered walls of the temple rise high above the walls, with the spire's tip appearing to reach a full 100' above the ground. The temple is sacred to Silvanus the Treefather, though worshipers of other benign faiths are also welcome. The temple is holy ground, and characters might find its quiet interior a calming respite from the cares and concerns of adventuring. The interior walls are painted to resemble the sky, and the main floor is one expansive area dominated by a grassy hill around which a crown of trees gently sways in an endless breeze.
TKEpk247

Postby TKEpk247 » 15 Aug 2013, 01:47

I will do my best to have a handout next week about the surrounding countryside and more detail on the town. Please let me know as you create your characters on my DnDInsider account so I can take a look and go over them with you if I have questions. Feel free to PM me here, or better yet email me with any questions. I will be traveling this weekend but I will do my best to respond.

I will need everyone to post their characters on my DND insider account by Monday at the latest so I can import them and run everything. Email me your number if you need anything, happy to chat.
Last edited by TKEpk247 on 03 Feb 2017, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
TKEpk247

Postby TKEpk247 » 15 Aug 2013, 12:52

Also let me know if later down the line you guys feel like playtesting DnD Next. I have signed up for the playtest and have materials, haven't read through them yet though. Something to do if we are down a few people, just use the premades and run with it.
TKEpk247

Postby CultD » 19 Aug 2013, 20:02

Just out of curiosity for my character, what time of year is it? According to the guide, followers of Kelemvor observe Shieldmeet (Leap Year) and Feast of the Moon (Day of the Dead essentially), and was just going to see if I could work into my story why I'm there based on the time of year and proximity to a holiday.
CultD

Postby bdcjacko » 21 Aug 2013, 21:54

May I change one of my guys abilities?
bdcjacko

Postby Mammalpants » 22 Aug 2013, 08:00

Straight out of the compendium....

Retraining
Sometimes a player makes decisions when creating or advancing a character that he or she later regrets. Perhaps a chosen power isn’t working with the character concept, or a feat never comes into play as anticipated. Fortunately, no one is stuck with bad character decisions. There’s an opportunity to change a decision whenever the character levels up.
Every time a character gains a level, he or she can retrain. This involves changing one feat, power, or trained skill. Only one change is allowed per level. If the player book says to replace one of the character’s powers with a different power of a higher level, replacing the power doesn’t count as retraining. The character can still retrain a feat, some other power, or a trained skill.

Replacing a Feat
Retraining can replace one feat with another. The character must meet the prerequisites of the new feat. A feat can’t be replaced if it’s a prerequisite for any of the character’s other attributes (such as another feat or a paragon path) or if the feat is a feature of his or her class, paragon path, or epic destiny.

Replacing a Power
Retraining can replace a power with another power of the same type: at-will attack power, encounter attack power, daily attack power, or utility power. The new power must have a level, be of the same level as or lower in level than the old power, and come from the same class—a 5th-level cleric daily attack power for another 5th-level cleric daily attack power, for instance, or a 22nd-level utility power for a different 22nd-level utility power.
Retraining doesn’t allow replacing a power that has no level, such as a cleric’s healing word; a power designated as a feature; or a power gained from a paragon path or an epic destiny. If a power has no level but you chose it from a list of powers, you can replace it with a different power from that list.

Replacing a Trained Skill
Retraining can replace one trained skill with another from the character’s list of class skills. A skill can’t be replaced if it’s a prerequisite for a feat, a power, or any other attribute of the character, or if it’s predetermined by class (such as Arcana for wizards and Religion for clerics).
If the character’s class requires the choice of one of two skills (such as either Dungeoneering or Nature), retraining can alter the choice, but the character is limited to replacing one skill with the other.
Published in Rules Compendium, page(s) 86.
Mammalpants

Postby bdcjacko » 22 Aug 2013, 10:24

Dearest Mammalpants,

I know it says it is fine to do in the rules, I was just being polite to the DM. I always appreciate when a player asked me before changing their character.
bdcjacko

Postby TKEpk247 » 23 Aug 2013, 17:39

Follow the rules, all good to change on leveling
TKEpk247

Postby bdcjacko » 25 Aug 2013, 18:41

Heads up, I am cancelling my dnd insider after this weeks game, probably thursday or friday
bdcjacko

Next

Return to Role Playing Games